Saturday, April 6, 2013

THERE ARE STILL THINGS WE CAN COUNT ON

Whenever I hear the 'call waiting beep' when on a call, I can count on either being without my glasses or on a phone that does not show caller ID.  It makes me wonder if those who call have that kind of luck when gambling.  Another annoyance is to be in the basement when the phone rings and I have forgotten to take as remote phone with me.  Again, no caller ID and I am afraid I will miss an important call. so I either race upstairs, in great pain because of naked of cartilage knee, only to find it is a telemarketer that either wants me to consolidate my credit card balances (of which I have none), sign up for a life line in case I've fallen and can't get up, or let me know that there will be a truck to collect old clothes or whatever I would like to give  clean (with no need for repair and if other than clothing, must be in working order).  These conditions usually describe things I still want to keep!

It has become habit now to take the phone with me and set it within reach of the shower while I am in it.  I keep a strap wrench handy because I believe that all jar tops are now put on with a pneumatic tool with strength far beyond the strength of most women.

I'm convinced the real sneaky enemy lives within technology. Having learned to type on keys that were distinct and raised, I can no longer type a 'y' without it adding an 'h'/  I finally realized it is because all the keys are adjacent at the same level and  extremely sensitive to the touch even when you are only near one.  The mouse I use is even more sensitive and I have to keep fast to outsmart it.  If I hold a finger near it, I will move everything away.  At least I finally learned on my new iMac where that Apple hides things and can even get most of them back.

Lately I have fewer reasons to leave the house.  However, I can count on it raining when I have plans to work in the yard (there is raking, pruning, planting, etc to be done within the brief April window before the jungle appears in the yard.

I'm sure my readers could add to this list.  I know I am not alone with the spirits who hang around to make our lives more difficult.  They seem to get around to everyone with no prejudice.  I can hear them making strange house noises but I just can't see them.

But those we can see are in Washington, DC.  We can count on Boehner always saying 'no compromise'. We can count on Republican states continuing to try to eliminate legal abortion and contraceptives.  We can count on Cuccinelli  acting as though he is above the Supreme Court.

No comments: