Saturday, September 1, 2007

Age Changes Taste

When I was young I enjoyed romantic movies in which the hero kidnapped the heroine and finally made her love him. I saw nothing wrong in the brutality that often occurred before that point. I have changed my interpretation of the 'feel-good' movie.

Recently I watched one of my teen-age favorites The Black Swan. Tyrone Power was handsome, dashing, and really 'turned me on' years ago. Having lived and worked through the Feminist Movement, I feel differently today. I dislike the reaction of my body to violence and suspense. I don't want to pay or waste my hours of my life to shudder, perspire, quake and grip the sides of my chair. I want to leave the theater feeling better than when I arrived. I want only 'feel-good' movies and thank BBC for keeping Austen and Bronte alive today.

No comments: