Friday, September 14, 2007

Confused by Nature

In my front yard there is an azalea bush that rewards me for letting it live there by pushing forth beautiful, colorful flowers in the Spring. Today I spotted two weak blossoms, pretty and pitiful at the same time, obviously running on some archaic survival impulse. I identified with the bush. It is the second week in October, we have not had a hard frost yet, and the weather prediction is that it will be in the high eighties all weekend. What do I wear?

Life is confusing enough without having nature adding to it by making me pull out the summer stuff being put away. (Actually, I had just stopped looking for the summer clothes I couldn't find that had been put away last year.) On the bright side, the A/C doesn't really have to go on because the nights are cool; the heat doesn't go on so the gas bill stays reasonable.

The days are shorter and my lack of being highly enough evolved make we want to eat and store up for the winter, when I will only wish to hibernate. Out comes the light box, next to my computer, and the heat thrown from the bulbs is somehow incongruent with the temperature around me. If I don't turn the light box on, I begin the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder. If I do turn it on, I roast myself. Life presents constant dilemmas. Someone cleverly put this to verse.

Unlike most of life's dilemmas, this one is a piece of cake! I can enjoy Indian Summer as long as it lasts. I won't be around when all the glaciers are melted and the planet is uninhabitable for humans.

No comments: