Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Being old is not always bad....

Recently, in Vermont, I was hugged by several people whom I had not seen for years, and some whom I was just meeting for the first time. One man, the recent husband of a woman I had met at my home in MA, gave me the 'perfect hug'.

We met friends in the restaurant when we arrived after the 3 1/2 hour drive from our home. I was immediately hugged by the owners, a lovely couple whom I've known for years. These were typical, happy hugs, demonstrating pleasure at seeing me and returned in the same vein.

My second hug was from my daughter's boyfriend. It was warm, yet appropriately unenthusiastic. The next hug was the perfect hug. The man, whom I was just meeting, followed suit with a hug in greeting and, being muscular, not too tall, and clearly comfortable hugging a stranger, gave me a completely encompassing, bear hug that was as gentle as it was surrounding. I told him in front of all the others that he gave the best hug I have had in years! This lovely gentleman insisted on giving me a hug every time we met during the weekend and I enjoyed each one. My daughter said she suspected that might be true but has kept her distance, fearful of her girlfriend's reaction.

It then occurred to me that no much younger woman can be jealous of an overweight, white-haired old lady! Another plus, added to the few I am discovering, being old has for me.

No comments: