Sunday, October 21, 2007

DIFFICULT CHOICES

On Saturday, October 20, 2007, I was aware of two of the most significant events going on in Boston simultaneously. The first was the Boston Red Sox playing the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park, the second was at Boston Symphony Hall where Christoph Von Dohnanyi was conducting a wonderful program. My very good friend, who has shared his season subscription to BSO with me for the past few years is an avid baseball fan and had a ticket to Fenway for the sixth game off the AL playoffs. He gave me his tickets, free parking ticket, so I invited my daughter to accompany me.

In a most poignant gesture, since she loves going to Symphony with me, she asked if I would mind taking her husband instead. Proud of the unselfish, loving character she showed in doing so, I readily agreed and off we went. Frank had never been to Symphony Hall. Listening to music in that Hall is a special, musical, ear drum massage..

The program included Piano Concerto No. 3 in c minor, Opus 37 and Symphony No. 5 in c minor, Opus 67, both by Beethoven. At the top of the framing of the stage, with all its gilding, is an oval plaque with Beethoven printed on it. The Hall was built in the 1870s which makes that choice a rather strong statement about how Beethoven has long been revered there.

At intermission, however, I (and rather a few others) raced for Sid, the head honcho of the doormen, who gave us the score in the bottom of the second inning...Sox 4, Indians 1. JD Drew had hit a grand slam; he who had not been a shining star this season, energized his team.

At the concert's end, the score was Sox 10, Indians 1, in the fifth inning. We reached home in time to watch the final three innings. One aging Red Sox pitcher, Curt Schilling, had pulled himself together to hold the Indians for 8 innings, replaced when the Indians got another run. The game ended with the Sox adding 2, ending the game at 12 to 2. We were able to see the last 3 innings on TV!

Now tell me, can life get much better than that on a Saturday night?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'aint that the truth. Was tickled to see the Sox win and sure hope they can win tonight. Love the
blog!! Is Yiayia Greek for what??
Pat says hi.

Anne

Yiayia said...

Yiayia is Greek for grandmother....
Hi to Pat, too.