Monday, October 22, 2007

TROUBLES COME IN BIG BATCHES

The other day I noticed a puddle of water streaming from under my washing machine. By some trial and error, I noticed that it only happened when the hot water faucet was on. After checking behind the machine to make sure the hoses were tight and not leaking, I was at a loss, for what someone as technologically challenged in machine repair can be, to fix it myself. So, I did what every other woman who needs not to mop up her floor during each wash; I called the repairman. I prefer doing business with one place, I got a repairman I knew who was pretty good and who had sold me the machine, so he knew it well. On the phone, he said he had never heard of this problem, that usually if there is a water leak it would be from both faucets but he would come and take a look.

Naturally, it blew a whole afternoon waiting for him since he was, of course, delayed longer at the last stop than he had anticipated (bow-wow-woof-woof), he had to take the top off the machine. After many minutes of trying everything, he called me down to the basement and said he just couldn't find anything.

Then as he was getting ready to put the top of the machine back on, we noticed some water running (He had tried many loads with hot water.) It was a surprise to see that the water on the floor, running under the machine just as I had seen before, was actually from a soldered, rusted join on the drain pipe standing on the floor in which the hose fit that emptied out the machine. We assumed that the hot water must have melted or loosened the sludge in the pipe, opening it up to leaking. He put the top back on the washer and suggested, (After $69.95 service charge) that I call a plumber. I felt that was a decent price for a diagnosis that I could never have come to by myself since the pipe wasn't visible while the top of the machine was on. End result, at least I know what to do and whom to call.

Next surprise was when I shut off one of my computers and a copying deck kept blinking and causing static in the sound system of the other machine. This one was an even greater puzzle because the deck was tied to the computer and had always before shut off with the computer. I live a charmed life. A neighbor is a sound engineer and has told me top call him before i call a computer repairman. As much as I feel this is an intrusion, I did call him and he initially diagnosed that it might be the power supply. (No problem here, easy to buy, not expensive and probably worth replacing anyway after almost 4 years). He suggested that I just leave the computer on standby until I get the power supply since he could not just unplug the deck as the sound system ran through it. After a few intues he called back and said he thought of another possible cause. The motherboard might be at fault. Now we are not talking a band-aid fix, we are talking mega surgery. I will only find out what I need after more trial and error. I will replace the power supply and see if that makes a fix.

No comments: