Friday, October 5, 2007

Loving Music

There are more CDs and other opportunities to listen to music in my house than I ever imagined possible. I can even make a mix of music I like free on Pandora.com. Why then do people have to do illegal sharing in such vast quantities? This 32 year old woman had 1700 songs. I don't think I can fit listening to that in my lifetime and get anything else done.

Given the number of people who shared files, why is this one woman a target? Apparently because she was unwilling to settle. My confession is that I never used KaZaa, not because I cared about the music companies, they have (in my opinion) been ripping off the consumers for years, but rather, because I didn't trust the sharing process...opening up my computer to all the world seemed too dangerous to me. This is a rare occasion when being 'chicken' paid off for me. Ads and spybots were built in. It feels too much like 1984 crept in and Big Brother is watching us everywhere.

The music companies are seeing their own demise through their own greed. With recording equipment getting more affordable to many musicians, I love that they are peddling their own stuff. Possibly, like global warming, that will take many years to do its thing. We are seeing the beginning of the end of the people who use other's talents to make outrageous profits with no musical talent of their own, ( the raping of talent), and taking a far greater share for themselves that the performers usually get.

No comments: