Sunday, December 16, 2007

BAD WEATHER SUNDAYS

When you don't have to go out in the snow, sleet or rain, bad weather can be fun. Today is one of those days . A kind of cliff hanger football game with the Patriot's going for their 13th straight win of the year; an automobile accident involving two cars right in front of our house as a result of the slippery conditions; bringing one car's occupants into the house to keep them warm and calm them down was rewarding in a vicarious way; finding time to write a few Christmas cards and ready them for mailing; and deciding that I will no longer send Christmas letters after 41 years of doing so, made the day really special. A weekend guest, my daughter and a neighbor took care of the shoveling and snow moving. I decided there are, indeed, a few perks to getting old...not many, but a few. I, at least, even though I was prevented from going out, could cook a warm and filling breakfast for the shovelers when they finally got back into the house.

My daughter insisted on perfecting a pizzelle recipe so my guest and I had the opportunity to gobble up all her several test batches. It made her striving for perfection great for us, though we thought each batch was delicious!

My guest helped me with some maintenance on my computers though I thought they had been working pretty well. I had the time and nudging to get to some things taken care of which I would have liked to have done a long time ago but just never got to do by myself. It is like a Murphy's Law that a techie can see more things than you ever knew were there.

My squirreling habits also work in favor of a day like this one. There is always too much in this house but, on days when you can't really go out safely, having a variable stock is quite reassuring. As long as we have power, we can eat for weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday I ought to share with you my epic tale of triumph over the storm last Thursday. Took me 5 hours to get home from work, 2 of those hours were spent walking in the storm by foot.

Hope you're doing well, and staying warm this winter. I'm 2 months behind on my gas bill so lets hope I don't get my heat cut off!

Yiayia said...

Ly, that sounds terrible. I have missed you and hear there is a woman in your life. I'm delighted for you, if that is true. I hope your heat stays on, too!