Monday, December 10, 2007

CHRISTMAS LETTERS

My husband had established a tradition of Christmas letters since he hated to write or use the telephone. Those became for me, The Dreaded Christmas Letter! Each year more boring details were added about the six children and later the grandchildren until a friend commented to him that he needed a map of the 23 people mentioned. At that point he agreed we no longer should mention all our grown children and everything in their lives and the ages and grades of their children and all their activities. My sigh of relief might have been mistaken for an off season hurricane! We limited the contents to our own generation and activities. I found it hard that people were being honest when they said they loved getting them. I think the only people who really like reading them also liked writing their own.

Once we received a four page letter from a woman whom we scarcely knew and it was, by far, the best letter I have ever received. It could easily have been published as a short story. It was about her recent illness and hospital stay. I also love the letters that include pictures, especially of trips. The family cast of characters is helpful when you want to know the whole system. It is a talent when people can introduce lots of family members and make it interesting reading, which few manage to do.

When my husband passed away, I was ambivalent about continuing the tradition. Somehow it felt disrespectful to his memory, to drop it entirely. My letter, being who I am, was very different and described feelings (Heaven help us!) which his male, engineering self would never have done.

For those of you who have never written a letter but want to, some kind soul gave some very useful tips on dos and don'ts.




No comments: