Sunday, December 9, 2007

LOCAVORE

Are you a locavore? I've decided I am one, perhaps a bit off from the proper definition, (click on title for link) Instead of eating only things indigenous to my geographic locale, I have limited it to eating only food within my sight! That works for me. Since my computer is only a few feet from my kitchen, that opens up some real possibilities. Struggling to find a way to diet with that view is worked out by assuring that nothing fattening gets within view. This, coupled with the desire to put something into my stomach, especially late at night when I am tired and yet not ready for bed, starts making even the woodwork a possibility. So far I have resisted that temptation.

Using coupons is impossible for me. I've noticed that only products that contain all sorts of sickening additives and hydrogenated fats seem to get on the coupon list. The whole idea of local is also a bit confusing. If a tuna fish is caught off the coast, does it mean the mercury in not dangerous whereas it might be if caught elsewhere? Are the products limited to what is grown here? Does the local produce raised over a former dump site take away all danger if the growers didn't know what it once was? Are all organic growing sites tested, and to what depth, and for how many years back?

Restaurant patrons have a greater problem. If the rice wasn't grown in state, it can't be eaten? Vegetables from South America are taboo even though they might be identical to ours in an opposite season? Pacific Coast Salmon is out for me? That would make it pretty easy to join the 'clean plate' club. Well, let's hear it for a new vocabulary word, anyway. Locavore...Mission Impossible?

No comments: