Monday, December 31, 2007

NEW EUROPEAN SMOKING BANS

In 1986 we bought a cabin in Vermont where we went weekends and vacations. We stopped eating breakfast out because we could not stand the smoke. To our utter amazement, this state, where it seemed everyone smoked excessively, was one of the first to ban smoking in restaurants. At last, I could both eat and breathe at the same time in a restaurant. At last I could enjoy eating out and not pay for it later with a headache and wheezing.

Airplanes were even worse. You could be in a no-smoking section right behind a smoker. The circulating air, usually unfiltered, was as useless as the no pee area in a swimming pool. Those who think they are not bothering people when they smoke on the beach or outside haven't a clue. Murphy's Law draws the smoke to the nearest non-smoker every time.

There ought to be a ban on priests shaking incense into the air in churches. It is just as vile to asthmatics as smoking cigarettes would be. I'd like to see the lawmaker who dares outlaw that one! My solution is to just avoid church...God must want me not to be there or he would have taken away the incense burners by now.

Smoking bans are the only thing in which the US beats most other countries. Paris and Berlin just banned cafe smoking. They are usually so much smarter than the US about health issues. Their tobacco lobbies must be pretty strong. Does the US still give money to tobacco growers? Apparently no longer! Well Paris and Berlin are being very kind and letting themselves ease into it by turning the other cheek for six months or something like that.

Now I can only wish the doctors I worked with for 17 years had believed that second hand smoke was harmful when they were being told it by research results. Only after I quit my job and went into a smoke-free home office did I get free of daily headaches. Just before I left in 1983, they made one side of the large hall, where conferences were held, smoke free. Did they miss that the air mixes? It was another example of a no-pee section in a swimming pool. That move bolstered my belief that denial is rampart even in mental health institutions.

Oh well, is there any place left where people's judgment can be trusted just because they have a lot of letters after their names?




No comments: