Thursday, March 27, 2008

THINGS WE'VE LOST

It is not beyond my ability to comprehend that in this age where CEO's must cut costs and raise profits (or they won't get their obscene bonuses), products must change. Cheez-it used to be one of my favorite snacks.
I do not recall that, as a kid, I had to have a napkin in hand to wipe the oil off after getting a handful of the 'regular' crackers. I stopped eating those. Then Cheez-it came out with a low-fat version, many CEO's or owners of the cracker later. Gone was the oily hand and the cracker tasted cheesy as it had before. Then another innovation came out and the taste was changed. Now the cracker is like eating a cheese-flavored blotter. I have stopped eating those.

Getting smaller and smaller amounts for the same price is preferable to me than changing the formulas. However, I guess there is a limit to just how little an amount of product for which people will continue to the pay the same price. I guess when sales go down the manufacturer cheapens the recipe. I recall when Tootsie Rolls were delicious, soft and chewy.

Now they are jaw-breaking rods that taste like chocolate flavored wax. I stopped eating them.



Since conglomerates buy up everything possible for them, the little guy that invents a great product is wooed into selling out for huge profit. The new owner then proceeds to work the current magic of the day by turning a wonderful product into a tasteless piece of junk food with few redeeming qualities of taste or nourishment.

Some things from the past are worth bringing back, but I doubt much of it will happen in my lifetime.

No comments: