Tuesday, April 1, 2008

LEDs

When it is dark, my house is lit-up like Times Square by all the glowing LEDs. Between the LEDs and the digital clocks on the stove, microwave, and all the other appliances that have them, it doesn't 'light up my life' but sure saves me turning on any when I get up during the night. Even my toothbrush and ladies shaver in the bathroom have LED's to prove they are charging themselves; I never need a night light there either.

I don't need one in my bedroom because my clock radio throws almost enough light from the digital readout to let me read the Oxford Dictionary in bed. Across this small room I have a binary clock (a gift to me) that uses LEDs to indicate (in binary number lighting) what the time is. It was a gift a few years ago and is as useful in my knowing the time as the sun dial my husband had on our cabin. As soon as he looked at the sundial, he would immediately check his watch! The DVR has an LED clock when it is off and more lights when it is on!

In front of my most used computer, it is as though I won an LED jackpot. My cable modem (with built-in router) has 8 yellow LEDs, most constantly in blink. Beside it is a red LED on the phone which also blinks when there is a message. A USB hub on the floor beside me has two more and each of my computers, when on, have a couple of lights. The two monitors have an LED to indicate they are on, as do external hard drives. A couple of AC adapters have them and the AC strips (I think there are two or three on the floor as well as grounded plug on the wall with lights).

My conclusion is that it is no wonder that I get less done than I would wish. I feel like a deer caught in the headlights in my house much of the time. Being fortunate enough to have a plethora of toys and tech goodies around makes for fun but adds a lot of responsibility and maintenance. Would I give them up? Absolutely not! I will keep them all and just rant about the time, cost and energy it takes to have my toys. I will feel self-satisfied though I am no longer up on the latest technologies though I am more so than most of my friends. I will know that most of my tech toys will become totally obsolete before I do.

Lights out at bedtime is now only a euphemism.

No comments: