Sunday, August 24, 2008

THE BEIJING OLYMPICS

China planned for seven years for these games. They lasted sixteen days.
I realize that many are more sports minded than I though I admire the work that those who participated put into preparation and I am full of National pride (not too often recently felt) when a USA athlete won a medal, especially a gold. However, what I did not appreciate was having my already limited TV life interrupted for those sixteen days. There is no doubt that I am an impatient spectator of most sports. Those which are full of grace and beauty, as with the gymnasts and divers, are always pleasurable entertainment. Unfortunately few others offer me such pleasure or interest, though I am sure they were eagerly watched eagerly awaited by relatives and friends, as well as those not in Beijing, but who participate on whatever level in similar games themselves.

Thus, I was happy to see Meet the Press back on TV and felt that some of my life was back. It is hardly that I think Meet the Press ever foretold the direction of politics but it reminded me of the realities of our current political situation.

There are lovely closing shots on BBC. Hopefully, if I am around in 2012, I will undoubtedly feel the same. The Olympics will be in London where the citizenry will decry the expenditure they are forced to carry, just as I decry the focus away from issues of survival so important to me.

If the medals awarded to each individual are counted, the totals underscore the American commitment to team sports. They read like this:

Americans: 315 medals.

Chinese: 186.

So both the Chinese and the Americans got what they wanted at these 2008 Beijing Games - the USOC also able to claim a doping-free American team and first-rate conduct from Aug. 8 on from the American delegation, highlighted by visits from the likes of basketball stars Kobe Bryant to the pool and Jason Kidd to women's beach volleyball.

Rogge had predicted as many as 40 positive doping tests at the 2008 Games - based on the 12 positive tests from the 2000 Sydney Games, 26 in Athens in 2004.

As of Sunday, with tests completed thru Wednesday's competitions, the total stood at a mere six, the most notable silver medal-winning Russian heptathlete Liudmyla BLONSKA; American Hyleas Fountain was moved up from bronze to silver.

In the month before the opening of the athletes' village, 39 athletes from all around the world were caught in positive tests, Rogge noted Sunday, saying, "You have also to count that in the fight against doping."

The U.S. effort included a dozen athletes who have been voluntary submitting to extra blood and urine tests in a bid to prove each is doping free - among them Phelps and decathlon champion Bryan Clay.

I find it sad that there isn't a similar test for politicians lying...especially those in our current administration who would certainly win a Gold medal if they were awarding one for greatest whoppers and obfuscation of out times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend U see
Blog "rellentlless Liberal"
Monday, August 18, 2008
The Chinese Olympic and Humiliation
By Jerome Grossman

For China the Olympics are a demonstration of the ascendancy of the host nation -from historic international humiliation “to the gate of greatness.” The Chinese investment was enormous, $40 billion, 10 times the amount

Yiayia said...

Indeed, AW, it is well written. I left a comment but do not know whether the relentless liberal will choose to post it. He apparently screens his.