Friday, August 15, 2008

DUNKIN DONUTS' KINDNESS TO SENIORS

Built as sturdily as a tank, I try to avoid eating too many donuts. However, with three adolescent grandsons hungry for breakfast, I hopped in my car with one of them and made every corner. The grandson with me made the selections for a dozen donuts as I watched a police man arrive empty handed and leave with donuts and coffee.

Box filled, the lady serving us asked for $6.94. As I pulled out my wallet she looked at me and asked if I was over 65. Laughing to myself at just how many years over was just as well she not guess, I admitted, shamelessly, that I was. She told me that I was entitled to a discount so it would be only $5.84.


While the boys were there on another couple of occasions and voting for waffles or donuts, they voted donuts because as one told another, "We can get waffles any time we want to in the UK but we can't get donuts!" Suddenly there was a unanimous vote for donuts so I was back to purchase the next batch. This time my white hair and obvious advancement of years pushing my belt out triggered nothing as I was asked for $6.94. I said, "That's odd, last time I was here I got a senior discount, at which point I received an apology with some effusion, and she told me it would be $5.84.

My third trip had us waiting in line while to servers chatted and giggled, obviously enjoying some familiar chatting. When finally we were noticed and ordered out dozen donuts, carefully selected to include triple chocolate, cinnamon, jelly, glazed, Boston Kreme, strawberry iced, a cruller, and some others, I was asked for $6.94 again. This time I said, "No, it's $5.84 (as I had the right amount counted out in a bill and coins)". The rocket scientist behind the country looked strangely at me then with the light bulb exploding in her eyes, she said, "Oh, right! You get a discount."


This proves, at any point after 62, your first priority is to find which stores have a day for senior discount and which day of the week that is; at what age the senior discount starts; what the per cent of the discount is; and any other pertinent necessary disclosures.

No comments: