Sunday, August 3, 2008

THE LAW OF AVERAGES

There seems to be a balance of all things by Nature, physics, chance or other elements not understood by me. Perhaps Karma plays a part, perhaps the cause is something supernatural, beyond my comprehension. Whatever it is, nothing in life seems to go in a straight line for long. It seems when something finally works or is repaired, something else breaks down. When something is found, something else gets lost. Death seems to be followed by births. It is the spiral of life and I wish it were predictable.

Needless to say here, I know it is not Joe Bfsk (Al Capp's little gloomy guy who always had a tiny rain cloud over his head, never elsewhere) beside me. I do not feel that I am personally being singled out by someone's God, that Evil somehow surrounds me, though I kid about the Poltergeists who occasionally take up residence in my house. I never believed in the tooth fairy, though there may be a Typo fairy lurking around.

If I am singular in pondering these things, do not comment. I am already feeling alone with the thoughts. If you share any of this, please leave a comment.


All seems to be going well until a good friend is hospitalized in critical condition. All my household technologies seem to be working well. The friend starts to rally almost miraculously, and simultaneously two of my computers stop working for no apparent reason and beyond my ability to trace a single problem. It is difficult for me to find out what to do when both flat screens stay dark. One won't light and the other, when the computer is on, reads it is not getting an input.

Do any of these things happen when there is time to search out the source of the problem? Should I be pleased that neither monitor is working, suggesting the problem may not be the death of the monitor I was going out today to replace, but some other source? Is the Karma good or bad? Am I being told something to force me to something else? It did force me to learn how to get my web email from a third computer with hated Vista, which I rarely use. There it goes, one problem solves another.

Meanwhile I have a social commitment that disallows my spending the daylight hours trying to see what might have gone wrong with the connections, since the likelihood of something not being properly secured seems high. Am I being punished for telling someone not to come to visit as I needed some alone time? Why is there so little personal peace without the phone ringing, the necessity to make phone calls to Customer Service (where hours can be spent trying to solve a trivial problem)?

No comments: