Thursday, September 4, 2008

LIFE MY WAY

This blog was never intended to be a personal diary and I shall never make it such. Yet it is difficult for me not to share some of the important things I have learned, and am learning on the route to the ultimate conclusion of my life.

First, I learned that you can get your back clean without another person around to do it. It took only eight years of widowhood to finally figure that one out. I have had brushes, scratchers, and all kinds of other tools, but they have never equaled this simple tool. I bought a wonderful piece of thick, waffle like material with two loops on the end. Sticking my hands into the loops after soaping up the middle and throwing it over my head, I was able to feel a REALLY clean back for the first time in years. Since I have always been a 'latest gadget' explorer, I wonder how it was that I missed this one all these years. I figured it might be because I rarely stop in stores. Proof that often the simpler, is really better. It made me start to think of all the other things in my life I might simplify.

Trying to make my life less of a blivet, I think (as I open kitchen drawers) why have I not gotten rid of some of the clutter in them? I no longer cook as I used to when my husband and I were feeding the extended family every holiday. I am totally unable to throw away still-useful things. I know I will never go to the trouble of having a yard sale. There are charities and halfway houses that could probably use lots of the things I no longer need and I have been planning to find them for years.

I love books and have, to the amusement of many of my friends, too many of them. It is why I usually buy what I want to read rather than borrow from a library, because I rarely sit down and read a book through (unless it is an exciting novel, which I also rarely read). Finally, they are going into a database; first, to know what I have, and secondly, to make it unnecessary to hunt through the whole house only to realize that I probably gave it away or lent it to someone who failed to return it. If I have not read it, or have read it but want a refresher re-read , it stays around as do gift books, for the persons who gave them to me to read when they visit. While consumables are appropriate for seniors, I request that they not do that since I don't eat the munchy kind of stuff as much as in the past. Family has grasped that humor is always a good gift.

At the top of my priority list is to choose one tool to crush garlic, instead of the several that I have. Meanwhile, I more often whack the clove with the side of a flat, wide knife, throw the peel off, and dice it quickly. When I realize why I don't use any of the others, an enormous sense of shame overwhelms me (not actually, but it sounds better that way)and it is clear that I don't use them because they have been lost in the maze of unused tools in the drawer and i can do it quicker by my own hand. The conclusion makes me wander off shaking my head as I look at my priority list. Well, I guess I will just have to live longer than I had planned, to get to the bottom of the list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to discover Freecycle. This is a wonderful way to get rid of your old junk that is useful to ~someone~ but not you.

Usually Freecycle is done as a Yahoo Group. You could go to Yahoo and search for Freecycle for your local area. You get a user ID and password. You then advertise your old junk and give it away to the most deserving soul. You can get cool stuff for free, too.

The objective is to keep useful items out of the landfills. It's a great way to de-clutter your home - you can simply leave your stuff out front - no need to haul it off anywhere. I have gotten rid of much of my clutter this way.

Yiayia said...

Thanks, tamara, I will check it out!