Saturday, September 27, 2008

MCCAIN-OBAMA DEBATE: MY TAKE ON IT

First, McCain blew away any good opinion I might have started to have of him when he said: 'I'm happy to say I have a good partner, who is a maverick, now.' How can I have any respect for a man who would have Sarah Palin as President should he be unable to fulfill his term? Even a Republican, woman commentator was quoted by Olbermann as making a most moving request for Sarah Palin to resign from the campaign 'for the good of the party and the good of the country'.

The pundits were saying McCain won the debate. Since I believe none of them are unbiased, I just tried to maintain control of my heaving stomach. To me, Obama was articulate and had ideas. McCain just kept saying he could do whatever it was they were discussing but never mentioning how or why he hadn't voted against Bush in all those years more than 10% of the time.

Obama was clear on what he would do as President, while McCain kept repeating what he has believed (though no proof of his acting on successfully) over the years. He tried to make Obama seem inexperienced, but in my opinion only succeeded in showing Obama as more intelligent, better prepared, or having better judgment. Linda Douglass, (senior policy adviser on MSNBC), who believed, as I that Obama had won, gave a concise and detailed explanation of why he did win. Andrea Mitchell showed her Republican leanings by being critical of the same things.

McCain seemed to think that Obama would be ready if he had visited everywhere in the world, though he accepts that Palin is ready to be president though she has only been out of the country once. This talk out of both sides of his head makes me think of Voldemort inhabiting the body of the teacher in the Harry Potter series. McCain still shows the damage to the side of his face that seems to have affected not only his jaw but his left eye as well. The lump seems to be growing.

The media decided that the winner of the debate would be the one with the best soundbites and the fewest gaffs. Intellectuals, such as this, should be collecting garbage in trucks, not in news media. Obama spoke decisivley of changes he planned to make as well as his priorities, while McCain talked about furthering all the things he has believed in for many years, with no evidence that much will change in the economy, international relations, taxes, medical insurance or any of the other things the middle and poor class desperately need.

I find I am actually looking forward to the Biden/Palin debate on Thursday. I need the entertainment since I am convinced there will be no value in it otherwise.

No comments: