Thursday, December 31, 2009

AVATAR: THE MOVIE


Too the point of boring anyone who will listen, I talk about making my stress free life/ Reading and watching tension free books and movies, keeping my bills paid up, doing only the things I want to do and making those that I have to do as pleasant and easy as possible is a basic plan. AVATAR has to be described as an exciting, challenging of nerves, anxiety producing, violent, thought provoking, beautiful, frightening movie. Seen in 3-D it captures all senses.

Those who know me will also be surprised to hear me say that I would recommend it heartily for some of the best three hours I have ever spent in a movie theater. The concept of a world that functions in a network, includes past and present, trust, loyalty, peace and shows an existence which is, perhaps, what this world longs for. However, in our times, we still have people who believe in taking what they want, rationalizing that anyone who is not human in our mankind's image is an alien and not worth consideration. Preemptive striking and killing is rationalized as the Bush administration rationalized going into Iraq, with matching disruption to our world as well as that devastation to the people who were attacked. Not believing that other beings could have a way of life that works for them is key. Those in our world who laugh at those whom they call the 'tree huggers' will likely see and totally miss the main message of this movie.

If anyone reading this is old enough to remember Fern Gully it is a bit like that, but without the humor and simplicity of the pathos in that portrayal of a similar, devastating and careless human action. If possible, see it in 3-D although it would not lose any of its power in flat screen, is my guess. Read more on IMDB.

4 comments:

T-Dawg said...

I loved Avatar for many reasons I cannot divulge. But, going in, I knew that Hollywood had made another Guy-Gets-Girl movie, the oldest and most used cliché ever. And I was right. ^_^

But it was still possibly the best movie of this decade.

Yiayia said...

T-Dawg, PM me and divulge those secrets or drive me nuts trying to guess!!!

T-Dawg said...

Well, I saw the 12-minute trailer on HBO. The technology they invented will drive the film industry for at least the next 2 decades, while they continue building upon it. And they did a magnificent job! Once you can create a human façade, actors no longer have to be "pretty". They are now face-acting, the purest form of emotional poetry.

Then I saw the movie, but not in 3-D yet. The story had been carefully crafted over ten years. It was nourished and loved and grew into something very beautiful.

After G³ there was another underlying theme: Fight The Power. That kind of movie feeds the emotion of anyone who has ever fought the law, win or lose.

The character development was not as good as if I had read the book, but they did a good job nonetheless. It doesn't have to take forever to hate The Corporate Guy.

The beauty of magical little glowing creatures did not hurt either. They added a spirituality that also fulfills a human need.

I am sure I can think of more, maybe after my next viewing, maybe sooner ^_^

Anonymous said...

We saw it today and loved it!