Sunday, December 27, 2009

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG DISNEY MOVIE

Today I was taken to see the new Disney movie, The Princess and the Frog. I was eager to see it because I had heard that little black girls at last had a heroine as a princess with whom they could relate. Now, I tend to see a movie at face value. I do not analyze its intestines for allegory and failed to see it in the C S Lewis stories as in The Chronicles of Narnia. To me it was a story and the story made logical sense as a fantasy but I missed that it is a Christian allegory. Despite the fear that it will corrupt little minds, it did not turn me towards Christ, or lions. A made-up story is just a made-up story to me.

"Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" Actually Contains a Powerful Message About Post-Katrina New Orleans" says the article posted by Melissa Harris-Lacewell, TheNation.com at 5:15 AM on December 23, 2009. For more detail on that click here.

The story is set in New Orleans, long before the recent hurricane and flooding. Nevertheless, reviewers are 'stitching' the time frame. As with most Desney stories, the disaster happens and is resolved to a happy ending by the end of the movie. All the strength of character resides in the little 'princess' who does not come from royalty but seems to act as royalty should. The ending is a surprise, neatly contrived finish that ties it up properly. All virtuous elements are in this cartoon movie...great values, hard work,warm and fuzzy heroine, but the handsome hero (the prince)is made to look weak while his life as a prince who did little for himself becoems the most frequently demonstrated trait of his.

The movie is fast, may be a bit scary to some little children though it shouldn't be with someone who can talk the kid through. Unless you hate Disney (actually this is a Pixar), I highly recommend it as a pleasant story on a child's level that adults can also enjoy.

No comments: