Sunday, January 31, 2010

SOME OF THE MANY REASONS I AVOID TRAVEL

Machu Pichu represents a 'you can't get there from here' mentality. I can't imagine why one would want to hoist themselves to an altitude where breathing is difficult to see a landscape. Personally, since the advent of improved cameras and television, I love to sit in my living room and travel with my remote.

Now, on BBC, I have more confirmation as to the unexpected nature of disasters.

This site tells of a 29 year old woman stabbed in the neck and murdered this month in Antigua. Travel Editor Peter Greenberg Gives Tips for Keeping Yourself and Your Belongings Safe When You're Traveling Abroad He wrote on 1/29 from New York, How to Protect Yourself in Paradise He suggests, male or female, don't go out alone at night. Leave your passport in the hotel safe but carry a copy with you at all times. Don't use fanny packs or backpacks to carry your money...carry as little as you may need and use a money belt. For the whole article,click here.

People who are afraid of terrorists bringing down a plane haven't an inkling of the many dangers in foreign places. To me, it is like willingly walking through a mine field that I don't have to choose. When I was in Athens last, 32 years ago, they were digging to build the Metro. Now done, they have made a museum of the artifacts right in the corridors for the world to see as they stroll by for a train.





Another site I would like to see again this many years later is the Akrotiri digs on Santorini (Thera). Fortunately, friends have visited recently and I have learned that I probably saw as much then as there is to see now...most of what they are finding is in boxes still and it will take many years for it to be labeled, identified, and ready to be shown to the public.

Museums all over the world, beautiful statues, church windows, art, people, views, all these can be seen easily through DVD collections, the Internet, and friends' travel pictures and descriptions. It's almost as good as being there without the hassle of getting there, spending money, risking security and exhaustion to name but a few of the less attractive aspects of travel today.

No comments: