Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BUILDING CORTISOL (THE STRESS HORMONE) IN WAYS YOU LEAST SUSPECT

Today's society is over stressed and stimulated.  A man was speaking on NPR whose name I didn't catch, but who had recently written a book (the title which I also missed) on his independent research on stress in our daily lives.  He said that people who claim to be multi-taskers cannot really be that as only one stream of verbal information can be taken in at a time.  I would not argue that he is probably correct.  I, however, read while I watch the news on TV.  Somehow my brain scans what my conscious mind may not be tuned into and tells me when key words come up that I want to hear more about.  It is true I do not then continue to read while I listen.

However, we have five senses that are not verbal trails into our brain.  I remember playing a Festival organ in the 60s.  It had two ranks  and pedals.  When you have to be aware of all those things as theater organists do magnificently, I believe that is multi-tasking.  When translators hear one language and simultaneously translate it to orally to another, that is another example to me.  Be sure to watch the videos on this site to illustrate my point;  It may be true that words cannot be handled by the brain in tandem but, clearly, other functions can.

Years ago, a psychiatrist, with whom I worked in a mental hospital, speaking English (though Viennese was his native language), had the audacity to say people who learn two languages have to be schizophrenic.  I had been bilingual all my life and resented this.  I clearly translated one language to the other when necessary.  I am constantly thinking of the steps involved in what I am doing and adjust my actions to make maximum efficiency.  I got things done faster and just as efficiently though I was being told to finish one job before starting another.

It is impossible for me to sit quietly and watch TV.  I have always had to be drawing, painting, embroidering, knitting or some other activity with my hands.  Otherwise I would fall asleep.  I have been calling that multi-tasking but, according to this gentleman's definition, it is not. Oddly, I feel far more stressed when I don't have something to keep my senses occupied than when I try to focus on only one sense.  I wish someone would invent a cortisol reader for the home.  I feel much more stressed out when I watch a violent, suspenseful movie.  It is no guess that I no longer watch them but enjoy 'feel good' books and movies.

Lastly, I realize I get stressed out physically as I grow older over things that used to be simple to me...like finding my way to an appointment in a place I have never been to before.  I allow plenty of time but feel my pulse rate rising if I get lost and fear I will be late...even to doctor's offices when doctors are never on time.

As I reread this, before publishing it, I realize we have backed into the old 'One size does NOT fit all' argument that I have frequently cautioned against.  There are those who get charged up by being frightened and watching violence.  I am not one of them.  Not everyone relishes kicking in their adrenalin or norepinephrine.  I prefer kicking in my endorphins.  They make me feel good.

No comments: