Monday, September 13, 2010

TRIP ONE FOLLOWED BY TRIP 2

I plan to fire my GPS lady as soon as I get back home.  The first leg of this trip was from my home in MA to South Jersey. and take them to their time shares on Hatteras Island, Outer Banks, NC.  I planned to go through CT on Rt 84, pick up 684 down to wards Tappan Zee bridge as I have many times before.  I.m not sure when the lady turned mean but after she recalculated a few times, with construction changes, signage switches, I was lost so I thought I had better listen to her , for a change. 

She apparently decided I wanted the cheapest route because I was steered away from every road that supported speed.  I even was sent over dirt roads, saw horse country in New York, lovely homes, stopped to let horseback riders go on, and finally (I think she gave up on me trying to send me over the George Washington Bridge and I finally found the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Following her instructions out of exhaustion at that point, instead of not turns but she had me turn on 9W and some dinky roads until I was finally able to find some obscure routes that finally allowed me to connect with Route 295 after which I knew my way to my destination.


I became a bit dispoiented when I saw Athens Garage and, for whatever reason, I was sent by every hospital in every town between MA and NJ.  My GPS is one of the better models of
Garmin but I think I need to read up on how to set up routes via some direction with which I am familiar.  If I had a passenger I would have that person write the routes I had to take and check it all out on a map later.  I have a hunch I hit a few extra states in there somehow.

I suppose the best that I can say about using a GPS is that it may take you through Asia on route from MA to NJ but, eventually you will arrive at the correct destination (if you don't run out of gas, that is).  The following day, leaving NJ for the Outer Banks of NC was equally full of "recalculating" from the lady in the box.  This time I had a co-pilot in the front seat who disagreed with every suggestion she made.  I left it on because it did tell me the correct speed limit (most of the time), the speed at which I was traveling (over it) and the road I was on (as well as the roads off it).  The trip is almost 400 miles and it rained every step of it, making this usually lead-footed driver stuck following slower drivers or bizarre risk-taking wanna-be race drivers.

I need never wonder again why I like my home so much......... 



No comments: