Monday, April 4, 2011

HTO WHERE DOES GOOD HUMOR DISAPPEAR ON SUNDAY TV?

At the risk of starting another conspiracy theory, I must admit questioning who is behind current TV programming.  The world news is pretty depressing these days.  Unemployment is at its highest since decades ago, we are losing our soldiers on two fronts,and  we must face the idiocy of many of our politicians and 'wanna-be' elected to high office totally unprepared.  In all, it is difficult to remain cheerful even for us optimists.


Tonight,  I wanted to watch TV so I checked out 'The Guide".  The movies listed (other than pay, which I don't do) the first was about a terminally ill woman, next a drunken ill-mannered superhero in rehab.  Flipping channels (all in prime time) there was a witness to a drug king fearful for his life, Fronrtline offered a documentary on the lack of care our government has given returning military personnel with PTSD.  They are often not diagnosed or given a purple heart or any support. 

By now, pretty disillusioned.  I found the Great Santini, a movie about a Marine disciplinarian who distanced his wife and son with his sadistic tactics,   By now my choice seemed to be limited to sobbing hysterically,  turning off the TV, or pouring myself a stiff drink.

I  found myself alone with a 15 year old relive earlier in the day..  He had experienced the joy of Bill Cosby as a stand-up comedian.  I played the Best of Bill Cosby CD for him which included all of the Noah's Ark bit.  The boy was playing with his computer so I asked if if he would like me to turn the CD off.  He looked at me with a smile and asked if he could like to hear it all.  He thought it very funny and was enjoying it!  I was so aware of the timeless kind of humor we miss from Red Skelton, George Carlin, Buddy Hackett, Alan Sherman, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Andy Kaufman, Lily Tomlin, Jonathan Winters, Bob Newhart, The Smothers Brothers. Godfrey Cambridge, Mort Shall, Rowan & Martin, Billy Crystal, Mel Brooks, Jackie Mason, Elaine May and Mike Nichols. and so many others who didn't need to comment on Lisa Campanelli's body parts to be funny. 

This is not meant to disparage the good comics who are on only late at night...Colbert, Stewart, Kimmel, Fallon, Leno, Ferguson, Maher, Letterman and O'Brien.  Jeff Foxworthy stands out with his group as offering kind humor, stuff we can relate to and laugh with..

No comments: