Sunday, April 3, 2011

THINGS THAT DARKEN LIFE

Yesterday as I wrote my blog it appeared as written, but when it got published it was triple or quadruple spaced and nothing I could do in edit changed it when published.  Blogspot must have been having a bad hair day.

When things always worked as I am now trying them, but now don't, it becomes stressful.  There is never a 'help' tab, or, if computer-related it is unavailable.

I've noted that the phone usually rings when I am unable to answer it,  or quickly enough.  I may have forgotten to take the remote to the bathroom with me; I am in the basement and the phone is 35 feet away; I am reading the last four pages of a novel, excited to find out how it ends; or I will miss something I have been watching on TV.   Expletives, I learned, do not help though I love to use them,  I'm beyond being shocked, but  many around me are not so it is amusing to watch their disapproving faces.  (Apparently, being profane is something that should have been given up by the time this many  decades of my life have passed..and should have been in yesterday's blog as things that lighten life.)

I'll try to keep peace with the poltergeists who torture me, make things commit suicide off my counters, cause the typo fairy to dance on the keyboard, and generally make me wonder why life is so difficult.   I will seek a new identity when my professional one no longer fits.  Instead of psychotherapist, I will just be a modern version of Greta Garbo 'vanting to be alone'. To keep stress from my being, I will embarrass my adult children, shock my grandchildren and amuse my great grandchildren just because I can.

When I get old I won't have to wear purple.  I already do.  But I shall use foul language because it more accurately expresses my feelings about life right now.  I will be even more candid than I am accused of being now, if that is possible.; it beats climbing a mountain or dropping out of a plane with a parachute or some of the other things people do to prove they still are 'with it'.  I'll even enjoy every bit of it because I will avoid the things that darken life such as having a pet die because I won't have one.. My necessities are few.  I'll even avoid discussing politics, religion and how to raise children with people who want advice they have no intention of taking..  That really brings one down.

Things that darken one's life are so subjective.  Each of us knows what they are.  We don't always know or are able to avoid them.  For that reason, in order to maintain balance, learn to treat yourself to something good every time you resolve a frustration.  Try it.  You might like it.

No comments: