Monday, April 11, 2011

SNIPPETS OF NEWS INFO

Budget:  It was nice to see that Obama plans to let his budget plan be known this week.  I'm reasonably certain that great minds have been working on it for some time and, frankly, anything sounds better than that of Paul Ryan who is currently the budget God of the Republicans.

Foreign accented media:  Whenever I turn on the BBC channel I am prepared to hear British sounding folk.  However, when I switch channels without paying much attention, I think all of them are BBC today.  Even CNN has used British anchors for years.  The one word used by then that throws me for a second or more is 'wee-kend' accent on the second syllable.  To Americans it has always been a 'week-end'.

Christiane Amanpour on This Week (ABC Sunday mornings) is great.  She is clear, bright and not at all difficult to understand, which is not true for all.  There are some British who slide over words and sound 'mumbley'.  I do not usually have a problem understanding them but that is hardly true for many of my friends.  Those who are not used to listening to foreign accents complain about the Help desk people in India and even the Southerners, especially with the few additives in the African-American speech. .

Research on sexy lady news anchors: In January 2011, Margaret Hartman wrote  "men retain less information when the woman delivering the news wears a sexier outfit."  I have found no evidence of research done on women by sexy male anchors.  Could this possibly mean that the hormones raised in women by sexy men do not stop their brain processes from continuing to work?

No comments: