Sunday, April 10, 2011

NOW IT JUST BEGINS TO GET EXCITING

For those of you who do not refer to FactCheck.org, a word of advice:  You should.  For example there were a few exaggerations  in Iowa by Bachmann, Gingrich and Barbour.  The tragedy is, how many people will ever know they were exaggerations..

Under the heading GOP exaggerations in Iowa,  Bachmann falsely stated that Obama administration officials have approved only one new drilling permit "since they came into office".  It is actually more than 200.  Gingrich claimed to have 'helped balance the budget for four straight years" but he was only in Congress two of those four years.

For those of you who get emails that say, "This was checked by Snopes and it is true", don't believe it.  Check it out yourself.  Many times I find that the story is not true and can be extremely misleading.  For an example of how it handles some quotes, click here.

There are many useful websites but the people who need to use them are too lazy to do it.  I once had someone reply when I suggested they check out Snopes, I was told, "I wondered about that but I figured you would check it out and let me know."

We will all get some things wrong but, at least we have a fighting chance if we try to check out as much as we can from reliable sources.

No comments: