Saturday, October 22, 2011

CHANGING INTERNET PROVIDER AND EMAIL ADDRESS

Rarely bouncing from Internet provider to another often, I forget the waste of time to change email addresses on everything using them. I decided this to be my last, many wasted hours informing all in my email address book needing to know the change.  Individuals, family and friends, are not difficult.  It is harder to be in touch with credit cards companies who notify you by email to pay your bill.  (I don't trust even God to grab it from my bank account every month.) Other bills paid monthly include utilities.  Taxes, insurance companies, news sources, media, Pay Pal, Transponder,and email subscriptions are some of the others.  I have four pages of passwords, most of which use my email address to communicate with me..  There is also the long list of firms, from whom I have made contact, who nicely pop themselves on my email address list. Mt fantasy is there will be a shorter list soon.

There is no consistency on websites,  Hunt and waste time finding how to change your email address on a website.  A couple of my utility providers were the easiest.  They actually had a menu down the left side
which said 'update email addresses'  Sometimes, if you hunt long enough, you luck out in in manage your profile, your account, your preferences, and sometimes you might just give up and try later if you aren't one who easily looks in obscure places and doesn't lack intuit ability with objects.

The moral to my story is that it is not simple if you use your computer for lots of things other than an occasional email or Facebook entry. It would behoove everyone to get their own domain if they have gone through this obstacle course.

The MA Department of Revenue would access your email if you subscribed to having it send reports.

TJX has a pretty clear route via managing profile. 

 Fast Lane was, perhaps, the most straightforward.  On the opening page it had a category :  UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION which included address, email and other demographic info.  (Change then hit submit.)

After many minutes of frustration, I was not able to get Facebook to take my new email address for notifications.  I will have to breathe deeply, clear my schedule for hours while reviewing my profanity lexicon.  I find Facebook very unclear with most of their instructions and do not intend to make it the longest expenditure of time in my day.  It rates up there with the constant error message I get from places that my password doesn't meet their standards or something has changed from the last time I logged on, which makes my written down ID and password not work.though it did not too long before.

Every business should hold a focus group to let folks try their website for the things that people might need to do, or can remember as their most perspiration-producing contacts with previous websites.

Now I see why having your alma mater host you is probably neither frivolous nor showing off.
.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

this is why you need to get yourself a web-based email address (such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail). Use if for your business proceedings and then it doesn't matter if you shift from Cable to Fios and back.