Sunday, October 23, 2011

BEEPS, PINGS, BELLS, AND LEDs

We used to need night lights in the dark.  Now we all live above a lowered, technology determined 'latitude' line where the lights nevergo out.  Almost anything that plugs into a wall socket has an led.  Some indicate the appliance is on, some show a similar light when it is off.  Some to show your camera, phone, or numerous other hi-tech things are charging.  Rather confusing like everything else these days.

Clocks have lighted dials.. Cable boxes have lighted  panels to tell the time or station.  The kitchen has its share as well.  It is hard to not know the time...everything seems to have a clock in it  The poltergeists who put them in everything have found a way to take away any excuse for being late  unless you can say, I didn't look at the clock until I was in the car and I had forgotten to set that one.. I'm always on time, so I haven't tried it to see if anyone is dumb enough to swallow that one.

In my bathroom, the electric toothbrush has an LED to show it is charging as is the razor to shave my legs.  I never need to turn a light on in the middle of the night on those rare times I migrate there, drawn by my bladder's command to my sleeping mind.

I think it is a plot by the utilities so they can raise fees without actually having us use more electricity.  I guess I am desperate for a conspiracy theory I can believe.

Wired ran a great article recently.  "LEDs are the lights of the digital age - and they're everywhere"  Gee, someone finally noticed what I've been saying for a very long time.  There is no way to turn them off, either.  Wasn't that clever of the builders of electronic equipment?  Now if they could only agree to standardize, we could know when things are on or off...or is it 'if it is on, it is off'.  That makes as much sense to me as I write this as the rest of the world does right now.  They're white, bright, green, yellow, red, and most desirably cheap! 



No comments: