Saturday, January 28, 2012

BRAINWASHING STARTS EARLY , AND NOT USUALLY BY 'EVIL' PEOPLE

Ir shocked me to learn how deeply my toilet training (over 2 decades at the time) was ingrained when I was giving birth to my first child. If the nurse who was attending me had any sensitivity to my pleas to get up (from the huge prison in the form of crib in which I was confined) she might have told me I was catheterized and would make no mess from my painful bladder being assaulted by a little being kicking to get out.  In that era, I had been given what was called 'twilight sleep', a concoction which included scopolamine (which allows the person to be awake, respond to commands, hurt, and later remember nothing about it).

The scopolamine did its job because I have no memory of the delivery room or the delivery.  I only remember what happened after I was handled this little bundle of life to whom it was difficult to relate as coming from me or belonging to me.  All I could remember was the nurse telling me to 'do it in the bed'.and how that horrified me.  I can only imagine what my Kegel muscles.were trying to accomplish, in vain.

Then, in the Greek Orthodox church, priests spoke in a pure Greek which was like Latin is to modern Italian.  Thus, whatever I was learning about God and Jesus came from my mother. I ceased believing in a God and the rest of what came out of church between the ages of five and ten as it made no sense to me.  My mother's admonition that one must not be flatulent in the face of God (that is with your posterior pointing to Heaven) as it was a sign of sinful disrespect.  Many decades later, that bodily function never happens while I am lying on my stomach despite often difficult gyrations to get there...a totally unconscious movement..

Having grammar drummed into me in.grade school is another example.  I am totally unable to read a book without correcting the grammar, particular the use of 'I,me, and myself'.  "It is 'me'" absolutely grates so much I have taken to correcting it in books I read to 'It is I"  When I say that to other people I am sure they think I am grammatically incorrect is is so commonly misspoken .  Nevertheless, I will continue to follow the edicts placed in my brain so long ago.  It is painful to listen to the media and journalists who so frequently demonstrate they either didn't have grammar training or slept through the exercises I endured because I had not yet learned to dissociate in class.  'Who' and 'whom' are more of the same..

No comments: