Monday, January 23, 2012

SUPER BOWL FEVER

While not ordinarily a couch potato or sedentary sports fan, when games get to playoffs and championship games, my interest peaks.  Visiting the new wing of the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum in the morning and walking further than I do in my usual day, my friend and I were hungry as we left.  I had to decide whether to go to a restaurant with my friend and miss the first part of the game between the Ravens and the Patriots or choose to eat and miss the beginning of the game.  Our very kind and sympathetic waitress kept us posted on the score.  It is amazing how friendly people are who have to work during these games when they find that someone else is missing it and that they can, at least, keep track of the score through their co-workers..

At one point a massive howl went up behind the swinging doors in the kitchen.  It had to be one for our side as, indeed, it turned out to be.  We ate and I was home before half time, during which I ran to my office door and shoveled the snow off the walk; light snow that only took me ten minutes to clear. I had heard it was going to rain and freeze by morning and is on the North side which gets no warm sun.

The rest of the game had me picking up a book when it looked as though my team was losing.  I don't like watching and experiencing the loss as though it really matters to me.  It doesn't. There are so many more important things in life, yet the emotions on that field touch me deeply.  It is unfathomable to me that someone would pay $6000 for a ticket to watch a bowl game when there are so many starving children around us and so many homeless people.  It makes the disparity of classes and incomes greater than ever, does it not?

Nevertheless, we take heart where we can find it.  The joy exuded by the winners and their supporters has to be uplifting to even the dourest among us.  I number myself among those dour people when it comes to pro sports, most of the time.

Now I must wait for two weeks to go through the angst and suspense for the final game, the SUPER BOWL OF 2012.

No comments: