Friday, April 27, 2012

...AND THE POOR GET POORER: AMERICAN BANKS AND CORPORATIONS KEEP IT THAT WAY

For many years I have used Citizens  Bank and found it no more evil than other banks..  Fortunate enough to keep a large balance ( a relative term) in my checking and savings accounts (the interest I earn is the smallest few cents possible to be given) I do not have to pay for my checking account.  I have several accounts in trust for grandchildren with, again, not much in them.  A few years ago I was told that they would charge a fee every month if the account contained less than $500.  I refuse to throw away money so I boosted all accounts to that level.  Recently I received an inch high of letters from the bank, one for each account, telling me that henceforth they will charge a monthly fee of $4.99 if the account is not at least $500 but that it didn't apply to me as it had been waived years ago.  Now really, is this the service for which they charge $4.99 to the poorest of the savers?

It occurred to me that with the advent of computers and keystrokes when necessary, the maintenance costs for these accounts could not possibly be almost $60 a year.  So, if you are poor, you will lose it all.  If I were in that situation, I would pull every account I had with them even if I had to stuff the mattress with it.. 

It made me think, once again, it takes money to save money.  I use Amazon for many products and books.  I do not have to use gas to get to a store for purchases, I do not find it difficult to spend over $25 to buy books given the price of books today, thus paying no shipping and handling costs. In fact, when buying a used book from them, it often costs more because of the shipping and handling cost to the sender.

Drugstores do the same as do many other websites.  I don't recall what the breaking point is to avoid shipping but I know that just deodorant, mouth hygiene, foot hygiene, and a few other sundries can add up quickly so, again, no S&H charges. 

I doubt I would qualify as even being in middle class today but the best I have going for me is that my home is paid for, leaving me with maintenance and taxes.  (Another joy of living long enough to pay off the mortgage).  My heart goes out to those with my income who have little chance of getting ahead.  I no longer have dependent children, live frugally and do not need the 'toys' I once thought were important to have.  Being old is a challenge but there are good things about it, too.  Granted, you don't often hear them because older people are usually too busy ranting about their aches and pains.

No comments: