Saturday, August 18, 2012

MOURNING LOSSES

As I mourn the possible loss of our country as we have known it and been proud of it, I also mourn the death of a close friend who died last night.  My friend just faded gradually and seemed to have died of no more than old age.  His blood pressure was impossible to control and his kidneys shut down.

For those of you who do not see the analogy between the two, let me explain what I see.  My friends kidneys shut down.  Dialysis is available for some people but not an option here for social, financial and so many other parameters that do not help in this description.

A week or more ago when I last talked to my friend, I sensed that he was in the process of dying; his body was clearly shutting down, his energy gone, his interest in life gone so much that he didn't even want to see a doctor.  Our country is dying.  The difference is that, unlike my friend who was a human in a single body, our country is made up of many humans in varying stages of their life and vibrancy.  Whereas my friend was beyond what science could help, I find it difficult to believe that our country is beyond saving from the clutches of those who are bound to make it their cash cow at the expense of the 99% of the rest of the country., .Their greed shows no response to the suffering of so many in that 99%.  There are veterans who have given parts of their bodies and pieces of their brains for this country who can't get help.  It is forbidden to choose to not have a child in an unwanted pregnancy but it is allowed to watch that child die of malnutrition or lack of medical care.  The single minded greed cares not that they are killing their source of revenue.  They cannot turn this entire country into their cash cow and personal playground.

Just as the living must go on after the loss of loved ones because they couldn't save them, we must all go on to make sure that this country survives...because we can..

No comments: