Friday, September 7, 2012

ROBOT CALL FOR CAMPAIGNING INVADE YOUR PRIVACY

Yesterday,, before the primary, the phone rang every few minutes throughout the day.  Finally, in the evening I was so fed up, when the caller asked to speak to me by my first name, I asked if this was a political call.  There was hesitation on the other end.  I said if it is just tell me for whom you are calling and I'll make sure not to vote for that person as I am sick and tired of the repeated intrusion into my life with robot calls for the same person.  She thanked me, wished me a good evening and quickly got off, careful not to tell me for whom she was calling.

Why do people think one should vote for 'my friend' .  I know there have to be grassroots organizations but they should be helpful, not just a fast, canned voice on the phone.  The fliers that are sent out will only tell the best.  No closet skeletons ever appear on those things left on the door.  I must say how I was impressed with one candidate who made it door to door, shaking hands firmly, smiling, and answering every question asked with no hesitation.  Since that candidate did not drown me in robot calls, I was grateful.  I love advances in technology but I also believe they should be used with discretion and some awareness of the reception they are likely to receive on the other end.  Telemarketers can be put on a DO NOT CALL list but robots cannot and, even if they could, to whom do you report it?  .The ladies who keep calling about credit cards, if you lasted to the end of the message, say press one if you do not want to be contacted again.  It doesn't work...it is like the salt machine in the ocean.  It is never turned off.

After a while I tried this, "Thank you, I already support your candidate, can you stop the  calls?"  Apparently  robots are disinterested.  I can think of no reason why I should be interested in their call if my response is not solicited, nor my privacy of home respected..

No comments: