Saturday, December 29, 2012

THE HOBBIT 2012

For someone who professes to only read and see 'feel good books and movies', I was taken to see The Hobbit this afternoon.  I love it.  When the Tolkien series, the Lord of the Rings came out, my grandson was in college and I took him to see them because none of my 'senior lady' friends wanted to see them.  I did.   Now, more than a decade later, that grandson took me to see it with my grandson-in-law.

It had been many years since I had read the book  so I couldn't compare the movie to it.  I was told there were characters added to give a central villain to the story.  Maybe I will find the old dog-eared paper back I believe I still have and I will re-read it, but then again, maybe I won't because it really doesn't matter to me if the movie changed this plot.  The point was made clearly that Tolkien intended.

I do resent that the recent movie about bin laden changed reality and made the claim that torture helped find him which led to his destruction.  It upsets me that history will be contained in the movie as future viewers will believe it.  That saddens me.  However, Tolkien fought his battles between good and evil in a manner that was clear it was fiction, yet the real message got across: Anyone can be a hero, anyone can fight for good against evil, and anyone can choose to fight to save humanity or lose to the evil ones who try to take over the world.  The aallegory is all there in our political process in Washington today.

No comments: