Thursday, February 7, 2013

MAJOR LIFE DECISIONS: BUYING YOUR NEXT COMPUTER

There has not been a time since 1980 that I have not owned a computer, replacing them more and more frequently as time has gone on..  As in the English Regency period, it is like needing an heir and a spare.  At times I have had a  lap to to desktop.  It is like never being left with only one key.  Now I have a 2 sick desktops , a five year old laptop, and an iPad.  My desktops (one has been semi-retired for more than a year; one my remaining desktop where most of my primary work is stored is showing signs of old age progressive  dementia.

The real question which arises is, "With what shall I replace it""  I really want an Apple product but have hesitated to free myself from the PC platform because of expensive and necessary software I had run in the past, which I no longer need  The second major concern is learning curve which I may not live long enough to master.

Frankly, I am most weary with learning how to run things that have either no manual or manuals written.for people that have a long lifetime ahead of them to read the 492 pages as in the Step-by=Step Windows 7 manual I recently bought.  I'm still trying to wade through the 140 page manual for my iPad.  Anyone over 12 years old will understand the dilemma.

Nevertheless, though my friends, many of whom are also are seniors, either advise me against making the shift or tell me to make it, though they are having terrible problems getting used to a different platform.  

After very careful consideration I realized that I have been learning things my whole life.  I have owned many technological products, appliances, tools, etc and have for many years owned the equivalent of a Lamborghini while finally having managed to master riding a tricycle.  Having recently retired from professional life. I am often asked what I do with all that free time I must have.  "What free time?". I ask.   I must be doing something wrong because I have never had 'free' time.  In fact, I've never been bored, either.  If I were a praying person I would pray for an extra few hours in a day.  That is not going to happen so I will go back to prioritizing my days 


No comments: