Friday, March 22, 2013

ISRAEL'S MEDAL OF DISTINCTION TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

History will record the speech given to the Israeli people on March 21, 2013.  The Ne York Times printed a complete transcription of that speech and I believe everyone should read it.  My background shows no past of a Jewish ancestor nor does Jerusalem hold anything special for me except in Christmas carols.  However, I do believe in the principles of our Constitution that all 'men' are created equal.  That should include the many races and ethnic groups in the United States as well as all other countries and the people who have NO country, the Palestinians those who had to flee for havens when their own country was no longer safe for them.  Click here for the NY Times transcription.

Pres Obama by Associated Press
The part of the speech that brought tears to my eyes and made me so proud of our President and so ashamed of those Republicans who block him at every turn, came highest when he spoke the following:  "So peace is necessary. But peace is also just. Peace is also just. There is no question that Israel has faced Palestinian factions who turn to terror, leaders who missed historic opportunities. That is all true. And that’s why security must be at the center of any agreement. (Scattered applause.) And there is no question that the only path to peace is through negotiations, which is why, despite the criticism we’ve received, the United States will oppose unilateral -- unilateral efforts to bypass negotiations through the United Nations. (Applause.) It has to be done by the parties.

But the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination, their right to justice must also be recognized. (Cheers, applause.) And put yourself in their shoes. Look at the world through their eyes.  It is not fair that a Palestinian child cannot grow up in a state of their own -- (cheers, applause) -- living their entire lives with the presence of a foreign army that controls the movements, not just of those young people but their parents, their grandparents, every single day. It’s not just when settler violence against Palestinians goes unpunished. (Applause.) It’s not right to prevent Palestinians from farming their lands or restricting a student’s ability to move around the West Bank -- (applause) -- or displace Palestinian families from their homes. Neither occupation nor expulsion is the answer. (Cheers, applause.) Just as Israelis built a state in their homeland, Palestinians have a right to be a free people in their own land. (Applause.)
But I -- I’m going off script here for a second, but before I -- before I came here, I -- I met with a -- a group of young Palestinians from the age of 15 to 22. And talking to them, they weren’t that different from my daughters. They weren’t that different from your daughters or sons. But the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination, their right to justice must also be recognized. (Cheers, applause.) And put yourself in their shoes. Look at the world through their eyes.


I honestly believe that if -- if any Israeli parent sat down with those kids, they’d say, I want these kids to succeed. (Applause.) I want them to prosper. I want them to have opportunities just like my kids do. (Applause.) I believe that’s what Israeli parents would want for these kids if they had a chance to listen to them and talk to them. (Cheers, applause.) I believe that. (Cheers, applause.)
Now, only you can determine what kind of democracy you will have. But remember that as you make these decisions, you will define not simply the future of your relationship with the Palestinians; you will -- you will define the future of Israel, as well. (Applause.) As Ariel Sharon said -- I’m quoting him -- “It is impossible to have a Jewish, democratic state at the same time to control all of Eretz Israel. If we insist on fulfilling the dream in its entirety, we are liable to lose it all.” (Applause.)"

This is a very small portion of an extraordinary man speaking honestly to his audience as he has continually done while campaigning and in office. He talked of what it takes to build trust and of 'two stat for two people"

No comments: