Saturday, December 1, 2007

CHRISTMAS IS UPON US

Years ago, a friend introduced me to the concept of a 'Christmas Wish List' on a Bulletin Board in her home. This seemed a great idea until I tried it. If it was a child's list, that was great because you usually coordinated with the parents. Otherwise, you didn't know who else might have bought the same item. Adults never wrote anything on it. Before my grandchildren all grew up, I had a list made out with a name and space for each child, so they could write what they wanted when they were here, usually at Thanksgiving time. It became an aggravation because they wrote ridiculous requests that took up their whole space, filled the spaces of other children, and the list was made totally useless for the intended purpose. Now they are grown and scattered throughout two continents. I no longer see them all at Thanksgiving, or Christmas.

It is a challenge to figure out how to change a tradition that no longer works. There are several challenges here. In my 'golden' years I need very little and find myself trying to unload more than I accumulate. I long ago realized that no one wants my left-over stuff, kitchen utensils, appliances that still work but no longer perform the latest functions, out of style clothing, books that are dated, and sheet music from the last 70 years. If I can't think of what I might want, how can I expect anyone else to guess? If I give a suggestion such as a plant, I end up with a jungle; if I say something funny, I end up with a library of hilarious stuff I have little time to read. Writing checks, while perhaps useful to the giver, hardly seems festive. I have given gift certificates and gotten gift certificates, sometimes to places I might not have chosen but to which I was happily introduced. When I ask anyone else what they want, I most often get, "I don't know."

There is no respite as the time grows shorter to the now dreaded Holiday. I detest wrapping and mailing things, though I used to love to make pretty displays of wrapped presents under the tree. Wrapping and mailing gets to be a greater cost than the gift therein. I feel it takes precious time out of whatever life is left. The stores are mobbed and the whole shopping exercise is torture. Shopping online has become a far better experience, though one has the sense of Russian Roulette as reports of card information being compromised reaches the media.

In short, I'd like a suggestion as to how the pleasure of giving and receiving at Christmas could be brought back other than in my dreams and childhood reminiscences. I say boycott the merchants and only buy what you see that you want to give throughout the year to whomever it might give pleasure. If it 'tis the season to be jolly, where did I go wrong?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We don't want anything this year. We're going to have a Grinch-Stole-Christmas Christmas. It'll come just the same, just without presents.

Yiayia said...

I know it is impossible to think of something for me as I need nothing, and want for nothing. You may expect a small box will be coming to London as a family gift that all of you may share in.