Saturday, January 5, 2008

THE NEW YEAR ILLUSION

When the New Year arrives I always have to deal with my illusion that it will somehow be a new beginning. Nothing changes at all. All the problems of the preceding year are still there. All things undone on the To-Do list of 2007 followed me into 2008. Weight doesn't magically fall off nor do the aches and pains in my body disappear. The only real change is my disappointment in realizing that every problem still exists both in the world at large and in my own personal sphere.

Birthdays seem to have a similar process. You wake up on the day of your birthday as a child with great expectations of having a 'special' day. Indeed it is special because you are center stage, get a cake with candles to blow out, and if you are lucky, a party with friends and some nice gifts. However, after you reach the mileposts of 16, 18, 21, and 30, there is far less to look forward to. You feel the same after your birthday as you did the day before, and if no one knew you had a birthday, they couldn't tell.

Years ago, I gave up making New Year's Resolutions. Waiting for the new year to start anything is, in my mind, total procrastination. Whatever day of the year I resolve to do anything is the day I start the change or there will be no change. It has always fascinated me that people make so much of New Year's Eve. I can't imagine myself standing in a freezing Times Square, another herring in a sardine can, for five hours to watch a ball drop even if God were standing there holding the ball. First Night celebrations are a step up. It seems that any excuse for fireworks is grabbed up by someone. The rest of the entertainment is well-planned and organized and seems a worthwhile venue with all the entertainers, ice artists, and everything else offered. Happily, the celebration does not depend on my being there. I feel that anything presented outdoors when it is under 70 degrees will not tempt me any more than an ocean colder than bathtub temperature will draw me in. Spending a large part of the evening in lines to get into places when the comfort of my living room offers good entertainment also does not seem a particular attraction, either.

Then main thing that I notice this New Year is that I have been to a lot of places, done a lot, saw a lot, gave at the office, learned my lessons, paid the price for my mistakes, and work harder to be optimistic about my fellow human beings. Despite this seemingly pessimistic view of life, I find no end of things or people in my world that aren't exciting and which make me happy to wake up to face every morning!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I feel that anything presented outdoors when it is under 70 degrees will not tempt me any more than an ocean colder than bathtub temperature will draw me in."

Hmmmm...sounds like what I've gotten used to as well. ;)

Just wanted you to know that I've developed into a faithful reader and enjoy dropping in when I finally have the chance ...usually a little later in the evening than this.

Anonymous said...

Chris, that is so nice to hear. I know that people are reading the blog and am always surprised at how many tell me I say what they have thought but haven't or couldn't put into words.