Saturday, July 11, 2009

GREEN PAPAYA AND JELLYFISH SALAD


There are wonderful delights of cuisine in other cultures. Japanese food presents some very interesting challenges to my American palate. Had anyone told me I would love a cold salad prepared from jellyfish and green papaya, I would have seen it as evidence that they were daft or just didn't know me!

However, the truth is, it is extremely tasty. Apparently the jellyfish is dried and can me prepared with any number of vegetables and flavorings. One recipe, a bit more elaborate than some, can be read here.

It would seem that there is no end to the combination of ingredients that can be added to the jellyfish. The search for new tastes in food is, luckily, one that goes on throughout your lifetime.

1 comment:

Steve Carter said...

I just had some jellyfish as an hors d'oeuvre in Narita, Japan and I was quite surprised that it was good. I am not one to eat extremes and lean towards Micky D's in distant lands but hey...yummy!