Friday, March 16, 2012

WE ARE ON THE CUSP OF SPRING IN NEW ENGLAND

Here in the Boston Area, we have enjoyed a marvelous winter.  We had very little snow, none of it heavy to shovel.  The sun was strong, snow didn't last long.  The Holly bushes are just now beginning to lose their winter, red berries.  Some people have crocuses in blossom. Indoor tulips are glorious and soon tulips will blossom out of doors, as well.

I quake at the thought that, while everything is budding up for a beautiful spring, some sneaky God will slip us a curve and gift us with some late season ice and storm,

However, I have treated myself with some indoor color again this winter.  I love my violets (which might force me to move to find space to live in as they have gradually taken up the space that used to be mine.) I will leave you, good reader, to visualize that there are six more window sills devoted to African violets.
Other sills have wintered colorful geraniums which have bloomed indoors all winter.year after year and in the yard summers.

No house should be without a left-over Poinsettia that will gradually lose its redness and get spindly, at which point one will be forced to memorialize it and wait until next December to replace it with a live one.

 My plants do not scratch at the door to be walked.  They do not wake me up, bark, or fill the house with shedding hair.  If they are incontinent from my over watering of them, (Bounty lives up to the 'quick picker upper title).  If leaves or blossoms dry up and drop, they are easily swept or vacuumed up.  When major disasters like knocked over pots occur, fresh dirt easily replaces that which was lost.  No bad odors at any time.  The worst disaster I ever had to live through was when a chipmunk decided (since I was only feeding it Decon, thinking it was a different type of rodent) my studio was a great place to live in because there were forty feet of window sills with plants on them.  (Chipmunks eat roots and in order to reach them, they dig out the messy dirt that covers the roots.)  At least I didn't have to take the plants to the Vet.  I just had to repot and sweep up quarts of potting soil.

Be of good cheer; spring is almost here!

No comments: